Sunday, May 23, 2010

Baja Grizwald Family Vacation

So, thanks to the power of technology and wi-fi, I can post things while we are down in Baja. I cannot put pictures on yet, but I can write about it. So, we left Friday afternoon and made it to the border to stay the night at the camp ground. Up bright and early to cross the border to start our adventure, alone. What an adventure it has been so far. We have crossed on our own once, but in a car, now we are in our motorhome pulling my dad's jeep. So we make it through the border no problem. Star going through town. They really do not have cross walks, so they just cross the street where they want and expect you to notice. Well, we almost ran over a Mexican crossing the street. OH JOY! Then driving along we come to a speed bump. One of those that is wide, and not oo tall. Well, there was NO warning for this and we both saw it at the same time and cried out "OH SHIT". Took it as we could and flew over it bouncing. Everything flew around the motorhome. I collected myself, as much as I could, and ran back to look out the back at the jeep. Well, it was still there and moving along as far as I could tell. So I go back to the front and sit down and we are both silent and can't really speak for a few miles. So we get over that and then comes an intersection where it divides. Left, right? which way??? We figure it out, but not in time. Ok, slight detour for a block. We get back on the correct road and we are on our way.
Well, after the earthquake they had, last month, the main road was damaged a little so there was a birt road detour, for 1l6km. Again, OH JOY! So we start down this bumpy dirt road. I'm watching and bouncing. I am Kevin's other eyes and so I keep an eye on the side of the motorhome through the side mirror. I take a look in it and notice there is only ONE shadow, the motorhome shadow. I say, surprised, "where is the jeep?" I fly up and run to the back and look our and the Jeep is GONE!!!!!! WHAT????? I yell back to him that it is gone. He stops in the middle of this dirt road, in traffic. Eventually we do a 20 point turn and turn around to go back to find it, yes, find it. Thank god we find it. A very nice mexican/gringo saw it come off and stayed with it knowing we'd come back for it. He helped us as much as we could. Well, the hitch actually broke in half off the motorhome. So there was no way we were going to be towing it any further. Luckily it still started and so I got to drive it the 80 miles or so to San Felipe. I pulled myself together as well as I could, put on some sun screen (since there is no top on the jeep), and got in and started to drive. It was a hell of a long 80 miles. The first 40, or so, I didn't have a radio. So i sang really loud as many songs as I could think of and then just started making up songs about what was going on. It helped me relieve some stress and calm down. We pulled over at one point to make sure it was all good and then realized where the face plate to the radio was and so I got some music to sing to.
So, then we FINALLY make it to San Felipe. We get gas in both vehicles and on our way to get beer, much needed beer. We stock up with beer and our on our way to the house. I am so happy to get on that little dirt road to the house I tear it up in the jeep and create a huge dust cloud. Life is getting better!
We are here now and things are better. Oh, forgot to tell about the part where at some point when the jeep fell off it punched a hole in the back o the motorhome. Just another thing to fix.
The girls are having a blast. I am already tan, mostly on my left side, from driving the jeep. It's going to be a fun fun week ahead, hopefully with no more adventure like the first one.

2 comments:

Connie @ Sensible-Redesign said...

OHG never a dull moment!!! Enjoy your week.

Hopkins Family said...

Glad to hear that you made it ok and at least you got a great story to blog about.